Saturday, March 13, 2010

Carnival and Australian People!


Last weekend, Mormoiron had the village Carnival celebrations. All the children join in with dress-ups and we get to sit on tractors and ride around the village. I sat on the truck with my friends Tiffany and Malorie. All the small children dress up as fairies and princesses. The Mums and Dads follow the wagons through the village. When we had done the whole loop, we all stopped and went into the town hall for 'le goute'. This is afternoon tea for children. We ate waffels and sugar pastries.


Yesterday my school had their own little carnival! I went as a 'cool person'. I had a little bit of makeup and wore my glittery Converse trainers. One of my my friends went as a baby, she had pyjamas on and wore (ha ha) a nappy over the top and had bunny ears and a dummy hanging around her neck! Mettre (that's what you call teachers here Mettre for a man and Maitresse for a lady) used to be a fireman so he was dressed up in his big neon coat and the 'fireman' boots. Another friend, Claire, came dressed as Mario, the DS character. She wore a red sweater and had stuffed a pillow underneath it. She wore overalls over the top and had put red silk over the top of a cap and drawn a little Mario sign and stuck it on top. Marion, one of my closest friends, went as a hippy and wore pink pants that were drawn all over. A flower dress and a headband around her head. Plus giant glasses!

Yesterday we took Tristan, the big dog down the road for a walk through the mountain ridge near our village. Mum came too, and so did Catherine, the owner of Tristan. We also had Tahlia with us for the day. She is an Australian exchange student who lives nearby,this year. We picked almonds from last autumn and some thyme. When we arrived back to Catherine's house, we had cups of fresh thyme tea. I really liked it.


Today we went to Pernes les Fontaines, an old town with 40 fountains. We walked all around the town and found all the fountains. The first fountain we saw was dou Caire de Roubino. We walked past a big church. Since it is Sunday, there was a service going so we couldn't go inside. On the church wall there were these sun dials that the Romans used to tell the time with. We read a French plaque telling us how to read the clocks, so we read them and they were correct! We walked around all the squares and saw the beautiful old homes and had lunch at a Chinese restaurant. I had prawns and curry and ice-cream for dessert. YUM. It was a great day!

Now I've got to do my homework for school tomorrow.
Au Revoir!

1 comment: