Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rock Climbing, Banon and Magicland!

Last Friday, Mum's cousin, Ruben, came to our house to take us rock climbing. He arrived here in Mormoiron with a whole bag of harnesses, ropes, helmets and hooks. We left early the next morning for the Dentelles Montirails, a mountain range of outcropping limestone rock that looks like a row of teeth from far away.

Ruben explained how to put on our harnesses and when I had put mine on, I asked him to test it and he grabbed the hook and lifted me up with his hands. It was lots of fun and I knew I was safe and ready to climb!! I got to go first!

The climb was 30 meters high and it was rated 4A/4C - medium. I climbed for about 20 meters using all the available hand and foot holes. The last 10 meters was really difficult as there were fewer and fewer places to grip but I finally reached the very top!! From there I looked around and saw all the other mountains around me. One of the rocks across the valley had a huge hole in it that you could see through! The scariest bit, but also the best bit, was abseiling down on the rocks to everyone cheering.
That night we were all very sore!

The next day we left for Banon, a town 70 km east of here. It is famous for 2 things, firstly its Banon goat's cheese and secondly, its bookshop. We went into the local fromagerie and tasted and then bought their cheeses. The man was an expert and explained the difference between all the cheese.

The bookshop was located in a huge 3 story building and was as good as I had hoped. It attracts people from all over Provence!! After we explored all the rooms in the bookshop we walked to the top of the 13th Century village and saw an art exposition in the church.

Yesterday, my class and I went to Magicland, a theme park! We went to celebrate the end of our school year. After this week, my big summer holidays will start!

My favourite ride was when you sat in a log, then you went up in an escalator, and flew down the slide into a spray of water! I went on it 4 times! There was also a giant roller coaster that I loved...

My teacher let us go off in the park by ourselves and explore! He didn't place us in groups or say we had to be back at the meeting place at a certain time, we were free to do as we pleased!!!

I had great fun at Magicland!

No comments:

Post a Comment